it’s moving week in our house! it feels like we have been prepping to move forever. we are temporarily moving into a basement apartment (8-12 weeks) so most of our stuff has to go into storage…which has made packing a little more challenging. needless to say, this week will be full of simple quick meals! i am still trying to eat down our pantry & freezer and every ingredient in this dish i had on hand. (the onions and yellow squash were from our CSA share last week).
we don’t eat a ton of gluten free grains, but the four main ones that we still incorporate into meals are rice, corn, quinoa and some gf rolled oats. one thing i am pretty strict on is what i cook my rice and quinoa in. i very rarely just cook it in water, but instead always try to use homemade bone broth (i freeze it in big batches). i could write a huge long post on the benefits and nutrients packed into bone broth (and after this move, i will). i drink a big mug of it everyday, but getting it into my kids is fairly challenging. i have found that cooking grains and other dishes in it, is a fool proof way to get some broth into my family’s diet. here is my quick: beef, rice and yellow squash skillet dish!
|beef, rice & yellow squash skillet dish||
- 2 cups bone broth (i used beef)
- 1 ½ cups brown rice
- 1 lb. grass-fed beef
- 2 Tbsp. coconut or olive oil
- ½ yellow onion (diced finely)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 yellow squash
- salt & pepper to taste
- cook rice in bone broth (i use a rice steamer, but can easily be done on stovetop)
- in a skillet, sauté diced onion & crushed garlic in 1 T. coconut oil.
- when onion becomes translucent, add in beef and cook until brown.
- toss in sliced yellow squash and cook down for 2-3 minutes on medium heat.
- when squash becomes slightly soft add in the cooked rice, remaining coconut or olive oil.
- mix together well and add in salt & pepper to desired flavor