During the summer we keep our freezer stocked full of chicken breasts ready for grilling (we stock up when Earth Fare runs their $2.99 chicken breast special) and make a lot of simple grilled chicken meals. One of our summer favorites is a fresh chunky chicken salad, loaded with grilled chicken, toasted pecans & almonds, celery and green onions. It’s a simple meal, but it’s also quick (which is perfect for our busy summers) and packed full of flavor.
Our favorite way to serve it is over fresh salad greens and tomatoes, but a lot of times I make sandwiches for the kids, with toasted Udi’s gluten free bread or in a Food for Life Brown Rice Wrap. On days that we are super busy, I will grab a rotisserie chicken from Earth Fare and just chop that up (they are currently, featuring their chickens for $5 on Fridays).
- 4 large chicken breasts drizzled with olive oil and Simply Organic Lemon Pepper or Penzey's Bicentennial Rub. (or 6 cups chopped rotisserie chicken)
- 1 cup pecans
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 heaping tsp. coconut oil
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 2 green onions, chopped
- ¾-1 cup organic mayo (I use Spectrum organic)
- salt & pepper to taste
- salad greens
- roma tomatoes
- Toss chicken breast in olive oil and seasoning of choice (our favorites are Simply Organic Lemon Pepper or Penzey's Bicentennial Rub).
- grill chicken, set aside to cool.
- Toast pecans and almonds over low heat in coconut oil and lightly salt.
- In a large bowl combine chopped green onion, celery, almonds, pecans and diced chicken. Then stir in mayo, I use about ¾ a cup, but adjust depending to how creamy you like your chicken salad.
- Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Serve over fresh salad greens and chopped tomatoes